Writing Books/dark romance

Question
I'm trying to get a handle on writing dark romance. How tortured can I make my hero? My current version of my novel, I've written it twelve times already, my hero was abused by his father.( Any kind of abuse out there the father did) I want my hero tortured but the heroine has to fall in love with him, anyway.
I guess I have character torture scares. Help!!

Answer
Hello Kenya,

You can make your hero as tortured as you wish. Women fall in love with serial killers all the time. Therefore, a lot would depend on how much of a rescuer or a victim or a strange woman you wish to make your heroine. In any case, they would both be highly neurotic. A woman who falls in love with a tortured, abused, needy man would necessarily be a woman who wants to mother, rescue, relive her own childhood issues, etc. Can you see that? It is the old case of two people who need each other because their individual neuroses match, rather than them both having a healthy, mature love relationship. You will have to walk a tight line between what is believable and not and you will have to make sure your characters are true to themselves. You can't have them making one decision in one place and another decision that is not in character on another page.
Hope this helps.
Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris