Writing Books/descriptive words

Question
how do you know if your using too many/ not enough descriptive words in a novel? isn't it boring to say: alice went to the store. on the way to the store, alice...
couldn't you describe alice, and then contuine to use desciptive words to break the monotany of the senetce.
alice was tall and thin. sometimes she felt as if people saw right through her. Alice leaned her lanky head on her paper thin arms and sighed...

thanks

Answer
Hello Sara,

You are correct in your thought that too many descriptive words are boring. It is the placement that is so important.

Why describe her?  Why not allow the action to give the description?  As:  Alice sometimes felt as if people saw  through her tall, thin body. Wearily,she laid her head her arms and sighed.

No nead to repeat "paper thin arms".  No need to say that she was "tall and thin".

But you have to be careful that she does not lay her head on her arms on the way to the store.  (Just a joke!!)

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris