Writing Books/How do you determine a word...

How do you determine a word count for a book? Do you count every single word in clcuding the articles "a' , "and" , and "the'?

Hello Bob!

Microsoft Word should compute that figure for you.  If you are not working in MS Word, the way to compute your word count is to count every five spaces as one word.  If your manuscript pages are in standard submission format (Courier or Courier New #12 / double-spaced and single-sided with 1" to 1 1/2" margins square, you can compute a quick figure of approximately 275 words per page multiplied by the number of pages.

That's it!  Good luck!
Youngber Roth

Writing Books

M.L. 'Max' Roth, Executive Editor

My specialist area is literary and philosophical fiction. I am pleased to answer all queries regarding story, plot, character arc and development, environment, structure, theme, subtext, and conflict.

Past/Present clients
Numerous client references may be found at: under 'References'. Their contact information is available on request.