Writing Books/dialogues

Question
hi, I'm trying to write an espionage book, and I'm going on well with the first three chapters, but I have a problem with inventing dialogues: they sound silly and can be taken for granted. how can I do to put emphasis in them? how can I make them spontaneous?

thank you! giulia

Answer
Giulia:

I want to preface this by saying that your question is really very broad, and impossible to answer well in this sort of forum.  I really would suggest you pick up a book on dialogue writing, or at least a general book on fiction writing with a solid section on dialogue, because it truly is such a complex subject.

That being said, let me toss a couple things your way:

First, remember that the main purpose of dialogue is to reveal character.  It's not to provide plot detail (although inevitably there will be some information and mood and such conveyed).

Also, remember that dialogue comes about as the result of a situation; dialogue does not create the situation.

In fiction, there are no discussions, conversations, or exchanges of information.  There are only confrontations between characters.  This doesn't mean arguments, though.  It can be polite and careful, but it must be one character attempting to get something from another… to get someone to do something she doesn’t want to do or to attempt to make something happen.

And my recommendation to you for seeing how dialogue should be done would be to go to the movies.  Dialogue in most decent films is well-done.  (By comparison, dialogue on television is often terrible.)

Hope this is helpful.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales