Writing Books/What are the different aspects of Middle Grade fiction and YA?

Question
-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
I am currently working on a children's book {fiction}, and 13 is the age of my protaganist.

How do I know if I'm writing a Middle Grade or YA book?

Thank you.

Nancy.

Thank you Dorthy for answering me so promptly.

Middle Grade is for grades fourth - sixth, and YA {Young Adult} is for grades seventh - ninth.  

I was wondering if the degree of tension, action, storyline, depth of characters, ect. determined whether the publisher would focus on Middle Grade or YA level of kids.  

Also, I would like to know to be able to send it to the right agent.  

Congratulations on your book.

Nancy.

Answer
Hello, Nancy,

I am sure your are correct; however, when you have finished the book and find a publisher,you will have to let him decide where to focus. Findind an agent and a publisher is not easy. There are books with names and addresses of publishers and agents and the genre they work with. The books give instructions as to how each publisher wants to receive manuscripts. I advise that you get one at a library and look through it.

Thanks for the congratulations.  My second book is also out and the third is with the publisher now. I have signed on with a publicist so that word of my books gets around better.

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris