Writing Books/earning power

Question
I was wondering how much a novelist earns.it must be significant since john grisham gave up his practice to pursue his writing.could you fill me in as I'm a lawyer myself contemplating going down this road.

Answer
Grisham has earned hundreds of thousands of dollars per book, and he's produced a bunch of them.  But he's atypical.  It takes an author who's work has sold hundreds of thousands of copies to demand that sort of compensation from a publisher.

Typically, authors will receive five to 10 percent of sales -- one to three dollars per book sold. But there is no fixed formula you can look to.  Motion picture sales are additional.

If your first book sells well and attracts Hollywood's attention, you're home free, but that happens to a small percentage of authors.

Writing Books

E.W. Brody