Writing Books/earning power

I was wondering how much a novelist must be significant since john grisham gave up his practice to pursue his writing.could you fill me in as I'm a lawyer myself contemplating going down this road.

Grisham has earned hundreds of thousands of dollars per book, and he's produced a bunch of them.  But he's atypical.  It takes an author who's work has sold hundreds of thousands of copies to demand that sort of compensation from a publisher.

Typically, authors will receive five to 10 percent of sales -- one to three dollars per book sold. But there is no fixed formula you can look to.  Motion picture sales are additional.

If your first book sells well and attracts Hollywood's attention, you're home free, but that happens to a small percentage of authors.

Writing Books

E.W. Brody

How to get published. I`ve written eight books, edited a ninth, and have published more articles in business and professional journals than I care to remember. I`m in process of working with an agent at the moment on several non-academic books

Three university degrees, eight published books, more periodical and newspaper articles than I can remember. And I've two more books in development.