Writing Books/I feel trapped

Question
There are so many ideas out there that I would like to draw inspiration from. This is most particulary true on human sized elves and their culture and background. However, I am worried that the information I would like to draw inspiration from is copyrighted and therefore not accessable to someone like me who would like to consider publishing their stories. What can I do? Is it possible to legally publish work with inspiration from these ideas, or is the only thing I can do try to ask for permission?  
Thank you very much for reading

Answer
J:

Feel free!

Ideas cannot be copyrighted.  Information, even, cannot be copyrighted.  What CAN be copyrighted are specific words on paper.

You could, for example, write a novel about a young person who, at the age of eleven, is informed that he/she is a wizard and must go off to learn wizardry at a special school.  And J.K. Rowling couldn't sue you for it.  Now, the general public would probably call you call kinds of names for being so blatant about lifting from her work, so I really don't recommend doing that.

But if you're just using information as a source of inspiration, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales