Writing Books/fictional places

Question
My question is can I invent a town in a state or county that doesn't really exist? Also, if I choose to base the setting in a place that does exsist, but the story is fictional, can I still mention places that do exist, such as resteraunts and stores? Which would you recomend doing?

Answer
Hello Collette,

Yes, you can invent towns, states, counties and whole countries if it suits you. I was floored when I read Mitchener's "Centenial" and discovered that that town did not really exist. And you can mention real places; however, if you mention certain real businesses, make sure you do not say anything bad about them, and it might be good to get their permission beforehand, if they still exist.
On things like this you can inquire from a legal expert also.
Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris