Writing Books/finding a publisher.

Question
I was a professional Chef for almost thirty years. Thanks.
I am interested in writing a "cookbook""training manual" and general kitchen stories of a real working kitchen. Facts, dreams, reality, honesty, drama, timelines. the sort of book that an aspiring culinary professional would be interested in, but also the homecook as well.

I do not having any English comp background, so it would be extremely unprofessional to the eye of an editor or publisher.

But I do need to know how to get my book, synopsis, idea, into the right hands.

Any help would definitely be appreciated and encouraged.

Keli Ange
Chef Keli

Answer
Dear Chef Keli:

First, you really must NOT try to pitch a book or synopsis that is extremely unprofessional.  Write the book, or at least some sample chapters, and get them professionally edited so they look impressive.

Second, it's my opinion, you should be looking for an agent.  You can Google, Yahoo or MSN on literary agents and find plenty of sites that will lead you to possiblities.  You need to pick only the ones that would handle cookbooks/memoirs.  Then you need to read their submission guidelines on line or get them however the agent suggests.  You simply must follow the guideline rules for each agent to give out the best first impression.  

There are also many books out there that list agents by the kinds of books they want to handle.  You can check your local library or go to the reference section of any of the major on line or local bookstores.

Good luck!  If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me again!  Let me know how you make out!

Liz Aleshire
Private Lives of Ministers' Wives, available through Amazon
www.lizaleshire.com

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire