Writing Books/A finished manuscript

I am putting the finishing touches on a manuscript. The work, which I have titled THE FLESH TITHES, is a searing account of the pedophilia, incest and rape which takes place in the Jamaican home ans amongst the extended family unit. The book is biographical and promises to be even more explosive than the very taboo subject matter which it tackles.
Now that I it is almost complete, I would appreciate your advice on how best to proceed in getting it published.

Thanking you in advance.
Joan Afflick.

Hello Joan:

So you have finished a book - congratulations!

The next step in the process depends on how confident you are about your editing skills. If you are wholly convinced that the MS is free of typos, spelling or usage errors, etc., and that it follows the industry standard for MS preparation, you are ready to find an agent.

Man agents advertise online, and several books are available that list agents. How can you tell which ones are good/the best? Unless you know someone who has an agent and is willing to refer you, you can't. You must research and explore - be prepared to send chapters to several or perhaps even many. If your work is rejected by an agent, this in no way reflects on your work; it may be that that particular agent knows no publisher that would be willing to publish your work. So keep sending, and in the meantime, work on your next project.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 800 questions.

And good luck with your search!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication