Writing Books/This is my first writing experience.

Question
Greetings.  My question is how to use the quotation marks " ".  I am not very fluient in writing styles, so I may or may not use the quotation marks correctly.  Here is an example for you.

Bobby asks Lisa, "how do you expect me to answer the question if I do not know the answer?"

I really do not want to seem like a novice; but, I am so I show no shame in asking questions.  I am open to any and all information that you may be able to help me with.  Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Percy E. Mitchell

Answer
Mr. Mitchell:

This is not correct:

This is correct:
Bobby asked Lisa, "How do you expect me to answer the question if I do not know the answer?"

Not correct:
Mr. Mitchell, in your inquiry above, you gave as an example, Bobby asks Lisa, "how do you expect me to answer the question if I do not know the answer?"

This is correct:
Mr. Mitchell, in your inquiry above, you gave as an example, "Bobby asked Lisa, 'How do you expect me to answer the question if I do not know the answer?' "

1. Punctuation that introduces the quote ( a comma) is put outside the quote marks, while punctuation that is part of the quote is placed inside the quote marks.

2. When quoting material within a quote, single marks are used.

Hope this helps!

Youngbear Roth

Writing Books

M.L. 'Max' Roth, Executive Editor