Writing Books/grammar

Question
-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
use of punctuation before or after quotes, parenthesis dashes or clauses of any kind.

Answer -
Anthony,

I don't know what this means. It's not even a question, so how can I answer it?

Easily. Subract the first term, the label 'Question -'
and replace with the word Explain, then replace the '.' with a '?' at the end.
This gives:
1).
Explain use of punctuation before or after quotes, parenthesis dashes or clauses of any kind?
Is the meaning any clearer? Is it now a question?

2). I can think of questions that don,t have strictly the '?' at the end of the sentences.

If you think about 2). There is a queston there also, it requires looking deeper. The very first word of this text,'Followup', not mine, is not a single word found in the large OED, but I guessed its meaning. Perhaps I am being pedantic now. There is no obligation to reply.

Answer
1. EVERYTHING comes before quotation marks, no matter what. The only exception you can really make is when you quote a question itself, for example:

I wasn't sure exactly what he meant. Why didn't he just say "how"?

Even in these types of cases where a direct quote is being made that doesn't include punctuation, you can include punctuation inside the quote and it's still technically accurate.

For parentheses, treat them like quote. marks, same rules with very few exceptions that are menial.

Anthony, I do this on a volunteer basis. There's no need to be an asshole just because I needed a little clarification.  

Writing Books

Kenneth Brosky