Writing Books/humour writing

how can i transfer humour into my writing.
i have tried many times but it always comes out like something really cheesey. i want to make it funny but still maintain a sense of sophistication so its not just a big joke!
please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Mandy:

First the bad news: humor is very difficult to write successfully, for the simple reason that what one person finds "cheesey" another will find hysterical. Perhaps you should seek some other opinions. If you will go to (You will have to cut and paste as this site does not support hyperlinks), join up and post some of your writing there, the members will tell you if they find it funny. Writers' groups are great for this.

That said, here are some sites that might help you:

For further help, goggle "how to write humor."

Some people come by it naturally. I have a friend who is  one of them; humor seems to creep into everything he says or writes. People are constantly laughing at things he says; he is creative and imaginitive, also spontaneous. The funniest things come from the subconscious, so try to relax while writing and just let your mind wander.

Read as many books on humor, or are just funny, as you can. Bill Bryson is a humorous writer; you never get the idea he's straining for it - that's a real humor-killer.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 780 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication