Writing Books/How do I make sure its not been done before

Question
For the first time in my life, I have had an idea for a fiction book. I want to go with it, but before undertaking this challenge, I am keen to know that it has not been done before.  How can I research existing books / plots to try and find out?  

Answer
Hi Bob!

Well, this is a tough question to answer. For nonfiction it's pretty easy.  There's the Subject Guide to Books in Print to look up topics and see what's been published.

For fiction, I'd have to know what genre the book is so as to guide you better.  But it's difficult information to find.  What really makes a book different is the writer's perspective.  If you take a different look at a done-before topic the book still has a chance of publishing.  My best advice at this point is to go to the local or on-line bookstore of your choice and head for the section selling your genre.  Then take a look at those books.  Yeah, it takes time.  There's also a magazine called Publisher's Weekly that will give you info on the latest trends in publishing and also what's coming out in the near future.

I might be more helpful if I knew what kind of book it is.

Please feel free to write back to All Experts with more questions.

Liz Aleshire
Bugs:  Stingers, Suckers, Sweeties, Swingers
www.LizAleshire.com

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire