Writing Books/Getting some kind of deal prior to completion of novel

I've heard from some people that it's possible to pitch the first chapter or couple of chapters to an agent/publisher, and possibly receive financial aid from them to finish the novel.

Is this true? If so, who do I speak to?

Ah, Robert, this is one of those yes AND no answers.  An author with a track record, who's been published before and has a relationship with an editor either directly or through an agent can get some advance money on the basis of a couple of chapters and a snyopsis.  But the track record is required, or, overwhelmingly commercial credentials like your real name is John Travolta.

If you've never been published before you'll have to finish the book before you can start pitching it to agents/editors and have any expectation of getting an advance against royalties.  Then, when your novel is finished, you'll have to submit a proposal:  A synopsis and sample chapters to whet the interest of the publishing world.  

But, I can't stress enough that the first time novelist must have a book completed before he charges into the publishing industry.

But, Robert, please, just keep writing on that book!  Find the time wherever you can and plug away at it.  I can tell you from personal experience that the biggest high in writing books is finishing one.  Yes, it's fabulous to sell one, to see it in print, to do some book signings, maybe hit a best seller list.  But the real sense of accomplishment comes when you write The End.

Keep at it Robert.  And know that the vast majority of writers have to keep day jobs in order to finance their writing 'habit' until they can make money at it.
Good Luck!

Hope I've helped!  If I have, please consider leaving me a good review!

Liz Aleshire,
Private Lives of Ministers' Wives

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire

What is a book proposal and why do I need one? Do I need a book proposal for both nonfiction and fiction books? How do I write a book proposal? What are the required components of a book proposal? What is an overview? What is a synopsis? How do I find out what other books are available on my topic so I can make my book different? How do I pitch to an agent/publisher? What's a query letter? What's a 30-second commercial?

I am the author of four nonfiction books: Private Lives of Ministers' Wives (with Rev. Sherry Taylor,New Horizon Press, New Jersey, 1991)and currently working on a second edition; Bugs: Stingers, Suckers, Sweeties, Swingers (a FRanklin Watts Frist Book, Chicago, 1993); The Confident Collector Identification and Price Guid to Quilts (with Kathleen Barach, Avon Books, NY, 1992); and, Official Price Guide to Quilts 2nd edition(with Kathleen Barach, Random House, NY, 2003.) I've taught How to Write the Book Proposal for the past ten years at the week long International Women's Writing Guild annual summer conference, and, at the Manchester Community College Continuing Education program. I've taught in many local continuing education programs in central Connecticut. Five authors have sold books using my methods for writing the book proposal. I have spoken at the Big Apple Conference, an IWWG event held in NYC; both Connecticut chapters of the Romance Writer's of America other writing conferences

Internation Women's Writing Guild, past associate member American Society of Journalists and Authors

Books for New Horizon Press. NJ; Franklin Watts (Now Scolastic)Danbury, CT; Avon Books, NYC; and, Random House, NYC

B.A in Economics from the University of Connecticut

Past/Present clients
Carren Strock, author Married Women Who Love Women; Doris Larson, travel writer, Ohio; MaryLou Streznewsi author Gifted Grownups.