Writing Books/How do I know if my idea is a sellable one?

Question
I am currently writing a story, that takes place in the year 2075 where cloning has been considered a federal offence.  Anyone unknowingly or knowingly,  supplying their DNA for the purpose of cloning will be sentenced to death.  The main character is a woman who is a Criminal Investigator.  She finds herself on a job that she considers routine, but throughout the book realizes there is a lot more to the whole situation that she could have ever fathomed.  There are explosions, car crashed, murders, missing persons, mystery, theft, etc.

I am not a professional writer, but find it easy to put my thoughts on paper.  I am unsure as to whether this type of book ( I consider fiction/mystery)will be welcomed into the hands of readers.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Answer
Dear Cindy,
It sounds like a good premise for a sci-fi novel. In order to really make it good, i recommend that you read a book on writing sci-fi. There are certain rules of genre writing that you can break, but you have to know what they are before you can break them. At my web page i have linked to some good books on writing. Choose a sci-fi writing book there or browse Amazon or your local bookstore.
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
Here's some additional feedback on your idea. First, you have to have someone in the book who is likable, probably your protagonist. Also, the evil people have to have some redeeming qualities. You can't just paint a horrible picture where everything is awful and all the people are cretins. Otherwise, people will have a hard time getting through it. There has to be a strain of humanity, truth, that the book is depicting.
Also, novels these days are best when they're acted out, rather than narrated. Your story must start out with some action, instead of  a long narrative about "how things are." For more about how to do this, refer to the Fiction Writer's Workshop also linked to my writer's page.

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster