Writing Books/Can I have legal issues for a true story novel?

Question
I've being thinking for quite a while to write the story of my life, in particular my youth. Unfortunately, although the plot would make for good reading, I'm a bit afraid to do it as it would incriminate quite a few people, in particular my parents, my ex-boyfriend and a lot of people in relation to him; and especially the health authorities.
If everything I write in the book is true, can they still sue me?
What if my memory fails me on something? Can I be put in jail for that?

Answer
Good question-- and the answer is a touchy one.

When any author uses the real identity of people in his book, he opens himself to legal issues. You can be sued.

The only time one might be safe is when they write something neutral or complimentary about that person.

Any defamatory information is subject to legal law suits of character.

I would suggest asking an attorney (most give a free consultation) or simply change the names of the people involved in your book, and write it under a author pen name.

If you really are intent on your own name as the author, then it is an open source for investigation to the public to learn the true identities of your parents, etc. so, contact the proper attorney about that.

Your family can sue you. It's slander. The truth is only as one perceives it-- and just because you told your side, does not make it true-- therefore, they can claim it is untrue and sue you. Also, the health industry will sue. They have millions of dollars to loose by slanderous information of their name.

It's always best for an author to get attorney advise and counsel beforehand.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett