Writing Books/length of novel

Question
Hi there, this may be a very silly question and forgive me if it is. I've started to write a novel.  I am not using any specific writing software, just microsoft word and I was wondering if there is any way for me to know how many pages what I've written would be in a typical novel format.  In word I have 8 pages however I am using a small font and using word count I have aprox. 7,000 words.  Is there a typical font used for novels or perhaps a word count per page?  Thank you very much

Answer
Hello Darlene:

Thank you for writing. That is not at all a silly question,; in fact I just answered it a few days ago for someone else.

The formula I use is 10 words per line (average), 25 lines per page for 250 words total per page.

You can work it out for yourself, if you want to, by taking a novel of "average" size, font not too small (as in a paperback, for example) and counting the number of words in X random lines; divide by X and get an average words per line total. Then count the lines on X different pages, divide by X to get an average lines per page title, and multiply that by the number of pages in the book (minus the title page, dedication page, etc.) to get an average words per novel total. The more books you use in this process, the more precise your average will be.

Books are printed using all manner of fonts, but the size will stay in the range of 10 (for a dense paperback) to a 14-16 for a hardcover edition - large print. Times New Roman is a popular font and so is Ariel.

What we are talking about here is the publisher. Let's talk a moment about word count as it involves the writer. The number of words used to finish the novel should be the exact number of words needed to tell the story, and not a single word more, or less. In other words, write your book and don't worry about whether it is too long or too short. That's for the publisher to decide.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 450 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand