Writing Books/losing interest

Question
I think part of the problem may lie in the antagonists themselves.  I like to get inside the protagonists' heads when I'm writing about them, but the antagonists' heads are not nice places to be.  I think that's normal, but how do you get past it?

-------------------------------------------
The text above is a follow-up to ...

-----Question-----
I have been working on my novel for almost three years (I'm 17 now) and most of that has been rewriting and adding another subplot to develop the antagonists.  This subplot is all new material, including new traits in the original antagonist and some other characters that weren't in the story before, but I've been stuck or going very, very slowly since about June and I'm starting to wonder how to revive my interest in the work.
Thank you!
-----Answer-----
Hello Carissa,

We all get weary of our work at some times.  It's OK.  My advice is to put the work on the shelf for anywhere from 4 to 6 months. Don't even think about it. Then take it down and begin to read it as though you just bought the book.  As you read, many things will pop out at you that need work and other parts should seem quite well done.  A fresh eye is sometimes all we need.

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Answer
Hello Carissa,

This is very much a psychological question as well as a writing question.  I can only advise you to realize that you are creating characters, not living their lives. You have to get into their heads to be true to them, but then let them go ... do not live out their lives.  If you find difficulty doing that, perhaps you can talk with a counselor?  It may be normal for some writers to have difficulty, but not others, to that extent.  

Be careful and try to have fun writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris