Writing Books/I'm not sure if I'm asking the right person...

Question
...but I hope you can help me.  I'm close to finishing my first novel, and I've begun each chapter with a quote, and quoted from many poems within the text of the story.  Can you tell me at what point in the writing process I should start seeking permission to use these quotes?  I have no idea how to go about that.  Thank you.

Answer
Hy, Athlynne!

This is a tricky question to answer, because the laws about using quotes are sort of sketchy. It depends on how much wording you use and what your intent is. The best thing I can do is direct you to the U.S. Copyright Office's Frequently Asked Questions page, which deals with this issue. It also explains other things about how copyrights work, which will come in handy as you pursue publication. Hope this helps! Here's the link to the section that deals with this issue:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html#howmuch

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp