Writing Books/manuscript word count

Question
Hello,  I have a question regarding the word count of my manuscript. How is the word count determined?  Do I use the word counter that is on my word processer or is there a formula to use? Also when sending a query letter to a publisher should I send a few sample pages or wait until they are requested?  My book does not have chaper's but is in three parts, is a three part book acceptable?  Thank you for your time.  

Answer
Dear Genie,
Thank you for your question. If you are using Microsoft Word, there is a word count function under "tools," (I think). It will tell you the total number of words, even characters in your file. In general though, you can estimate 250 words per page if you have one inch margins and type in courier 10 point.
re. book proposal. It's up to you. Sometimes a publisher will know if they want to see a book simply based on an inquiry letter. Other times, they will need to read a few pages. At my site I have posted information on preparing a book proposal. See:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
re. three parts. That sounds fine if that suits what you wrote. All books are different.
If you have anymore questions after reading the material at my writers' page, please feel free to write back again.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster