Writing Books/how much money compared to time

Question
How much money can you make publishing a health  book and is it worth it for the time involved?
I have an idea, but thats it so far. I personally think I could help alot of people, and there would definately be a market it for it. But scared it will cost far to much..

Answer
Dear Michelle,
Thank you for your questions. As you've probably heard, books don't earn very much money. Usually a first-time author can expect a print run of 1,000 - 5,000, and receive between 50 cents - $1 per book. Also, it may take months of hard work to find a publisher.
However, there are other good reasons to write a book. For example, if you are a doctor, massage therapist, or natural healer, publishing a book will set you apart from the rest and bring you more clients and publicity. Having a successful book makes you an expert in your field.
Publishing a book should not cost you anything. If you write a good book, you try to sell it to a publisher. They pay you, either through an advance (money you get when you give them the book) or royalties (money you get from sales). Usually it's one or the other, but if the book is reprinted you could get both.
I don't recommend self-publishing for new authors because it costs a lot and then you end up with cartons of books in your garage.
At my website i have posted an article called "How to Find a Publisher." Take a look at that and then decide if you're up for it.
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to write back again.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster