Writing Books/multiple queries

Hello Liz

(A quick thank you, to start. You have helped me so much in the past.  Don't know where you find the time!)

As I go through another round of query letters, a though strikes me.

As often as not, there are several agents in one office who seem suitable targets for a query letter. You can imagine the time it takes writing to one, waiting for a reply, then writing to another and waiting for a reply, then writing... need I go on?

I wonder. In your opinion, how are agents apt to view a tacked-on request, to wit,

"Should you not find the contents to your liking, may I ask that instead of replying directly, you forward this query to your co-agents, listed below, and for whom the material may be of interest?"

I agree it is unwise to send out queries in batches larger than ten or so, but if I can reach ten agents in this way, with, say, four letters....

Dear Dan:

Thanks, and I'm always willing to help.

Multiple queries shouldn't be sent to the same agency.  As best you can, pick the agent that appears to best suit you.  If that agent doesn't want to handle the book, leave it up to her/him to pass it along to a colleague in the agency.  If it's something the agency handles, they will automatically pass it on to another agent who would be willing to handle it.

Multiple queries really means sending out ten query letters to ten agents at ten different agencies.  Every agent knows what her/his agency handles and if there's a chance someone else will represent you, they'll pass it on.

Hope this helps!

Liz Aleshire

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire

What is a book proposal and why do I need one? Do I need a book proposal for both nonfiction and fiction books? How do I write a book proposal? What are the required components of a book proposal? What is an overview? What is a synopsis? How do I find out what other books are available on my topic so I can make my book different? How do I pitch to an agent/publisher? What's a query letter? What's a 30-second commercial?

I am the author of four nonfiction books: Private Lives of Ministers' Wives (with Rev. Sherry Taylor,New Horizon Press, New Jersey, 1991)and currently working on a second edition; Bugs: Stingers, Suckers, Sweeties, Swingers (a FRanklin Watts Frist Book, Chicago, 1993); The Confident Collector Identification and Price Guid to Quilts (with Kathleen Barach, Avon Books, NY, 1992); and, Official Price Guide to Quilts 2nd edition(with Kathleen Barach, Random House, NY, 2003.) I've taught How to Write the Book Proposal for the past ten years at the week long International Women's Writing Guild annual summer conference, and, at the Manchester Community College Continuing Education program. I've taught in many local continuing education programs in central Connecticut. Five authors have sold books using my methods for writing the book proposal. I have spoken at the Big Apple Conference, an IWWG event held in NYC; both Connecticut chapters of the Romance Writer's of America other writing conferences

Internation Women's Writing Guild, past associate member American Society of Journalists and Authors

Books for New Horizon Press. NJ; Franklin Watts (Now Scolastic)Danbury, CT; Avon Books, NYC; and, Random House, NYC

B.A in Economics from the University of Connecticut

Past/Present clients
Carren Strock, author Married Women Who Love Women; Doris Larson, travel writer, Ohio; MaryLou Streznewsi author Gifted Grownups.