Writing Books/next step after writing memoirs

Question
I am in the process of writing my memoirs after leading an interesting life up to this point.
I know nothing about writing a book, but think my memoirs could lead  to several.
What pointers can you give me on writing my memoirs  with the plan of using them for a book; and what should my next step be after the memoirs are written?

Thank you.

Answer
Dear Rebecca,
Thank you for your questions. Writing the memoir is the first step. You pour out your whole life on paper, either chronologically, or any order you decide. You end up with a huge doorstop of a manuscript and you want to turn it into a story. That was my challenge with my first book too. Luckily, I was led to a UCLA Extension class called, "Autobiography into Fiction." The teacher showed us how to take incidents from our own lives and turn them into stories. When you do this, you can either remain completely true to what really happened, as I did in my book, Betrayal of the Spirit. Or you can take some poetic license to write a fictional story based on real events in your life. That's what most fiction writers do.
In order to turn your memoir into story form, you need characters, dialogue, scenes, plot, etc. At my site you will find the Fiction Writers Workshop. That will show you what's involved. See:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
Best to you in your writing.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster