Writing Books/novice

Question
I've got an idea for a novel,and I'm going to write it and attempt to get it published(though the odds are most likely stacked against it).How long does it usually take to write a good novel and how many times does one have to rewrite before it's finally ready?  

Answer
Hello Colin,

Of course, the answer is that it depends on the writer and the complexity of the story.  I began my first novel in 1996 and within three years it was finished and published.  I was lucky.  I did as many as 10 re-writes on that one and as many on the second and the third. I lose count. I simply re-write, review, re-write and review until I am satisfied that I cannot make it any better.
Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris