Writing Books/organizing the writing process

Hello, I'm thinking of writing a book on the rehabilitation of an
historic building - the process, the history, the benefits to the
community, etc. I've never written a book, only short stories. Is
there a tried and true method to organizing and writing a book-
length piece? Or is it just the same process, just much longer?

Appreciate your response,

Christopher Smith

Dear Christopher,
Thank you for your letter. I'm a big fan of preservation and encourage you in your project.
Writing a book is like writing a short piece, multiplied by the number of chapters you have. Plus, the whole thing has to hang together as a whole.
The best way to start is with an outline. Take notes on what you want to say in the book. Then you can use clustering, if you are familiar with that (if not, read "Writing the Natural Way").
Make your outline and then write your first draft of each chapter. It may take many drafts, but you will get there. Force yourself to keep writing, even if it seems like complete garbage. Remember: rewriting is easier than writing from scratch. Your outline will probably change many times as you flesh out your topic.
I hope this helps. My page for writers may have more materials you will find useful. On the writing books link, check out the book, "On Writing Well," if you have any questions about style.
I hope this helps,

P.S. If you have a good story to tell, be sure to submit a proposal to Home and Garden Television. They have several good shows like Restore America, If these Walls could Talk, etc., that do segments on successful restoration projects.

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster

Writing and publishing books, including e-books.

I have been writing for publication since 1981, including years as a staff writer, associate editor, editorial writer, and freelance reporter. At this time, I have eight Kindle books for sale at

Lakes of Tempe Authors, Tempe, Arizona

Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement
Dreaming Peace: Your Thoughts Can Change the World
Cult Recovery Handbook: Seven Paths to an Authentic Life
Child of the Cult
Learning to Flow with the Tao: The 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching
Positive Quotations: Wisdom from the Master Mind
Collected Writings: Five Books by Nori Muster
Noriland Art Gallery: Secrets from the Vault
Spiritual Summer and Other Short Stories

UCLA Extension Writer's Program, 1988 - 1994
Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Western Oregon University, 1991

USA Today, Los Angeles Times, BBC World Services Focus on Faith, BBC Sunday Programme,, Glamour Magazine, Portland Mercury News, W-Five TV (Toronto), Publisher's Weekly, Boston Phoenix, San Francisco Chronicle, ABC TV News - 20/20, ABC radio, Associated Press, The Age (Melbourne),, The New York Times, Religious News Service, Dallas Morning News, Columbia Journalism School, Whole Life Times (Los Angeles), Toronto Sun, the John Dayle Show (KFYI AM, Phoenix), the Eliot Stein Show (syndicated radio and Internet broadcast), Discovery with Josh Wagner (KKUP, 91.5 FM, Santa Clara, California), KOGO (News Radio 600, San Diego), Jupiterís Girl syndicated radio show, Lakes Log.

Book Reviews:
Publisherís Weekly, Feminist Bookstore News, Yoga Journal, New York Post, Choice Magazine, Boston Herald, Nexus (Colorado), Gentle Strength Times, Coastlines (UCSB alumni), Theology Digest, Nova Religio, Rapport, India West,,

Book Signings:
Prescott College reunion; Gentle Strength Co-op, Tempe; Different Drummer Bookshop, Laguna Beach; L.A. Times Toastmasters; Biltmore Plaza Border's Books, Phoenix; Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles; Health & Life Enrichment Expo, Pasadena; Sacramento Reads book festival, and others.

ISKCON World Review, Van Dhal Publications, Gentle Strength Times, Arizona Woman, Lakes Log, ICSA Today, Cultic Studies Review, University of Illinois Press, Kindle,,, Apple Books, and others.