Writing Books/page #s

Question
I've always wondered: when I finish one page of writng on my computer (#12 Courier), roughly how many pages will that correspond to in a published book?  I've heard differing ideas.  I've counted the words on my typed page and they are about the same as those on a page in many finished books.

Will 150 pages on the 'Word Processor' be anywhere close to 150 pages in a book?

Thanks!

Eli Jackson

Answer
Dear Eli,
Thank you for your question. Usually word processing files are slightly longer than what will end up in a book. So if you have 150 manuscript pages, it will probably work out to about 120 - 130 book pages. You can figure it this way:
A double spaced page of 10 pt. copy with one inch margins is approximately 250 words (25 lines x 10 words per line).
Get a book that is the approximate size and type face you want your book to be. Count the number of lines on a page and multiply it times the average number of words per line.
Most of my books are short, so I know the feeling of wishing the darn thing would get a little fatter. Some of us just state our ideas simply and concisely, so our manuscripts turn out a little thin. In my opinion, it's better than being wordy, just for the sake of having a longer book.
I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Nori

P.S. My page for writers is http://steamboats.com/writing.html

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster