Writing Books/parts of a novel

Could you please list and describe what the acceptable 'extra' parts of a novel are... [i.e. prelude,post-script, prologue]?  
I've written a P.O.D. romance novel and wish to reissue it with a short letter tacked onto either the beginning of the book or the ending (preferrably the beginning).  So... would this be termed the: prelude?

Hi AJ,

I'm sorry, listing and describing all of the acceptable parts of a novel would take a long time. To answer your specific question regarding adding a letter... Yes, that's perfectly acceptable. I've usually seen it at the end, but at the beginning would work also. It would just be called "a letter from the author."

Hope this helps!

Happy writing!

Writing Books

Victoria Purling

I will answer questions about writing a romance novel. These questions can be regarding grammar, punctuation, style, emotion, conflict, POV, publishers, editing... pretty much anything regarding the writing aspect of romance novels. Areas I`m not as good in, but willing to give my opinion, are query and synopsis. I will be happy to critique a few pages (up to 10) of your work.

While not yet published in the romance field, I have had articles published in local papers. I am a published reviewer, both on and offline. I am also an editor for an e-publisher.

Member or Romance Writers of America.