Writing Books/getting permission from other people's work

How do I go about getting permission for writing about other people's work?

I am planning to write a book or manual about the healh discoveries that some doctors have writen in their books about.  I want to intergrate each discovery in my book to provide my readers with a whole approach to improving their health.  Do I need permission to reiterate their discoveries in my book?  or can I just continue to mention their book and their names as I mention their discoveries?

Thanks for your help  

In general,

You are free to paraphrase without limitation so long as you identify your sources.

You can use direct quotes of up to 200 words in like manner.

Longer quotes require permissions from the publisher of the book in question. Write the the publishers' permissions editors, who may or may not require payments depending on their policies and the amounts of material you want to quote.

Writing Books

E.W. Brody

How to get published. I`ve written eight books, edited a ninth, and have published more articles in business and professional journals than I care to remember. I`m in process of working with an agent at the moment on several non-academic books

Three university degrees, eight published books, more periodical and newspaper articles than I can remember. And I've two more books in development.