Writing Books/plot

I don't know exectly what plots are interesting today. So many ideas have come out recently. How do I know if my plot is any good?

Dear Ms. Bautista:

I have previously sent you an answer to this question (I believe it was last week?)  I will try again.

The best place to find plots that are interesting and relevant to today's readers are in your newspapers, news journals and magazines and radio talk show formats.

Your plot stands its best chance of being a strong one if you follow the three-act structure: setup; confrontation; resolution.  Remember that each act contains a plot point or a point of conflict for your protagonist(s) to overcome.

Before writing your book, take the time to write a working 'action only' treatment.  By laying out the line of action without dialogue, the plot comes through and allows you to study it for changes.  Doing this before you get bogged down in the actual heavy labor of writing a full-length manuscript presents your plot in its clearest light.

Terms to investigate further:

Three-act structure
Plot point

I hope this points you in the correct direction!

Max Roth

Writing Books

M.L. 'Max' Roth, Executive Editor

My specialist area is literary and philosophical fiction. I am pleased to answer all queries regarding story, plot, character arc and development, environment, structure, theme, subtext, and conflict.

Past/Present clients
Numerous client references may be found at: http://www.successliterary.com under 'References'. Their contact information is available on request.