Writing Books/plot

Question
I don't know exectly what plots are interesting today. So many ideas have come out recently. How do I know if my plot is any good?

Answer
Dear Ms. Bautista:

I have previously sent you an answer to this question (I believe it was last week?)  I will try again.

The best place to find plots that are interesting and relevant to today's readers are in your newspapers, news journals and magazines and radio talk show formats.

Your plot stands its best chance of being a strong one if you follow the three-act structure: setup; confrontation; resolution.  Remember that each act contains a plot point or a point of conflict for your protagonist(s) to overcome.

Before writing your book, take the time to write a working 'action only' treatment.  By laying out the line of action without dialogue, the plot comes through and allows you to study it for changes.  Doing this before you get bogged down in the actual heavy labor of writing a full-length manuscript presents your plot in its clearest light.

Terms to investigate further:

Three-act structure
Plot point
conflict
plot
story
protagonist
action
treatment

I hope this points you in the correct direction!

Max Roth

Writing Books

M.L. 'Max' Roth, Executive Editor