Writing Books/post script files and identifying quality printers

Dear Tom:

I am working to self publish later this spring, and working to identify quality printers that provide good value.  I have two questions:

Printers I have contacted request my MS Word file be saved as a "post script" file enabling it to convert to other software programs.  How is this done?

With all of the quotes I receive, with vastly different pricing, and most mailing me samples which naturally look good, how does one best differentiate between quality printers providing good value and those that do not?

Thank you very much for your help.  

Great questions and I will be glad to help.

With regard to your files you can save them as a postscript file by installing a postscript driver in your print applications.  You can download this from the Adobe website.  The other way for most printers is a PDF if you have that and your selected printer has a PDF workflow.  PDF stands for Printable Document Format or there is the old fashioned tried and true put it on a CD or a 3.5" disk.

I would also suggest that you go to which has alot of free info and a list of printers us included that do good work.

Prices and printers vary at the end of the day you want to know how much money is coming out of your wallet which is the way we quote our projects.  What is the total cost to print my books including proofing, shipping and changes and get a few references for good measure and don't print to many books as the tough part is not the creation but the selling.  If I can help further my email address is below.
Good luck

Writing Books

Tom Campbell

When you are ready to print your book I can help you with how to prepare your book for the printer, what to expect from a printer and what you must understand yourself. How long does it take to print a book and methods of printing that make sense and what your costs should be in the process.

25 years of business experience including web development and printing. Currently Senior Vice President of Sales for King Printing Company. I'll approach all questions objectively.