Writing Books/FOLLOW UP

Question
QUESTION: Hello:
Someone asked for a detailed query. I have written one with a hook, second paragraph briefly describing book and a third saying that I contacted professionals in my research. Does this sound right or is some things missing?

Thanks.

ANSWER: Itís difficult to say without reading the actual query, but it sounds like itís a good start. Youíre right to keep it short.

One more step would be to refer to a specific book the agent or publisher has handled and say why your book is better or different. In this way you prove youíve done your research and you also know youíre querying an agent or publisher that handles your type of book.

QUESTION: Thanks but since it is brief why did she send the phrase "detailed query letter"? The agency said that they had done a certain type and was looking to expand by doing my type I think. I wrote that my book targets readers of a bestselling author (that this agency doesn't handle) will that work for the "refer to a specific book the agent or has handled?"
thanks again.

Answer
Itís hard to read an agentís mind, but in my opinion the only other things you need to cover are the word count (or estimated word count) and why youíre capable of writing the bookóthat is, give your publishing credits if you have any. If you donít, donít address that issue. That is, never say, ďIíve never been published butÖĒ

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas