Writing Books/requirements to writing

Is it possible for someone who has not previously written anything worthy to write a book.  I have so many ideas but no experience in writing other than my journal and notes for my children's school. Oh, of course, love letters for my husband.  If experience is required, then what do I need?  I would love to write a book and get it published.  My mind goes wild with ideas but when I try to get it in order to write that is when I have trouble.  Thank you.

Hello Christie:

It is certainly possible to write a book with little or no experience. If you write for yourself, and perhaps friends and/or family, you needn't worry about anything. Just write it. (Whether anyone will want to read it is another matter).

On the other hand, if you want to publish, you must learn to write, clearly, vividly and succinctly. This usually involves years of study (some of it you have already learned in school), a lot of submitting, and many rejection slips which you will no doubt accumulate, just as other writers do.

If you are really serious about publishing, I would suggest you get some writing books from your local library. Read carefully, make notes (a spiral notebook works well), and do the exercises. Make a habit of writing in this journal every day. It needn't be a diary, but things pertaining to writing should go here. Along the way, write some short pieces (those "wild ideas") about anything that appeals to you. Don't edit or judge your work, just write. Try to establish a habit of writing, every day if you can manage it. Also read, and analyze as you go - note your emotional reactions to the story, and see if you can figure out how the author managed to make you feel that way with just ink and paper.

Join some writing forums and put bits of your writing up for critique. A good one is, but there are plenty of others. You will find them at MSN,, and geocities.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 700 questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication