Writing Books/When to send the book

Question
Hi Susan,

I am currently writing a travel literature book based on a two year trip i did a couple of years back. I'm not sure when to start sending it off, should i finish it first or send it off and then finish it? It seems to be taking a while and I'm getting anxious that i may spend ages writing it but no one will publish it. Any advice?

Thanks.

Answer
Hello Barry:

Assuming this is your first book, definitely you should finish a first draft, and any further drafts that are necessary, before "sending it off." All writers start this way, "writing on spec." No one writing their first book knows its chances of being published, or selling. If you are passionate about your subject, you will write the book whatever its chance of being published. In any case, you can always self-publish, or publish it online if all else fails.

Travel books enjoy a certain popularity, but we can't all be Paul Theroux. You must do the best you can with it, and accept the fact that you may write several books before finding a publisher.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 1,000 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

_______________________________________________________

THE PYGMY PRESS offers writing services, including critiques, editing, MS doctor, and mentoring.

If you need help with that book or story you've been dying to write, or are trying to write, contact us at pygmy@pygmypress.com, or visit our site at http://pygmypress.com. (You will have to cut and paste as this site does not support hyperlinks).

A published author will guide you through the process via e-mail "Lessons" - one or two e-mail pages, tailored to your particular needs. No fluff, just good, solid instruction - the kind of help you need.

Mentoring can save you a lot of time and energy, not to mention writer's block. It helps you stay motivated, and keeps you on the right path, start to finish. As one client said, "Trying to write a book without a guide is like wandering lost and alone through the Amazon rain forest."

Serious writers only, please.

Lessons: $2.00 each.

Writing Books

Susan Rand