Writing Books/short story

Question
Dear Jannie,  i like your idea about short stories to get noticed.  easier to manage and feedback should be good to help w/ the book.  can you please tell how many words will be required for a typical short story.  thanks again as your last answer was the best of the 5 i asked.  Dickie

Answer
Hello again,

Short stories fall under a few categories.

Flash fiction: 500-1000 words (usually)

Regular stories: 1000, 3000

That's the generalization of it, however, each editor/publisher of each magazine and/or venue, has their own submission requirements for their categories. Some have word limits according to genre, or maybe as simple as fiction and non-fiction submissions.

Be sure to check their submission requirements and word count your stories.

I have, in the past, written a story with X amount of words, found later I wanted to submit somewhere, and their submission requirement was X words, and I revised and edited my story to fit their guideline. Sometimes that makes for a better and tighter story!

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any question.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett