Writing Books/short story

Dear Jannie,  i like your idea about short stories to get noticed.  easier to manage and feedback should be good to help w/ the book.  can you please tell how many words will be required for a typical short story.  thanks again as your last answer was the best of the 5 i asked.  Dickie

Hello again,

Short stories fall under a few categories.

Flash fiction: 500-1000 words (usually)

Regular stories: 1000, 3000

That's the generalization of it, however, each editor/publisher of each magazine and/or venue, has their own submission requirements for their categories. Some have word limits according to genre, or maybe as simple as fiction and non-fiction submissions.

Be sure to check their submission requirements and word count your stories.

I have, in the past, written a story with X amount of words, found later I wanted to submit somewhere, and their submission requirement was X words, and I revised and edited my story to fit their guideline. Sometimes that makes for a better and tighter story!

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any question.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.