Writing Books/soliciting others to write for my book

I am interested in writing a book where most of the content would be written by other non published authors - just regular people whom I would like to get perspectives from.  How do I position my request so that people agree to contribute without worrying about privacy issues and without expecting compensation.  Are there other concerns I should address when putting out the request?

Dear Scott,

I noticed that your question was in the "Question Pool" and had gone unanswered; please forgive me if you have already received an answer from another source.

I think this one of those "the best ideas begin at home" kind of things: because you aren't in a position to pay individuals who would be contributing to the book, ask those closest to you in your circle of family and friends, and have them to spread the word about your needs, etc.

Many people are happy to share their life experiences, and remember this: People genuinely like to talk about themselves and their opinions.

If they are unwilling or unable to do the writing themselves, you can always interview them and put their answers into a narrative yourself. I think you have a great idea there, and I hope things work out for you.

All Best,
Catherine Van Herrin

Writing Books

Catherine Van Herrin

I am an American-born, native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, and proofreading experience. I have edited several books and book-length manuscripts. References and titles available upon request.

For further work or assistance with larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can use British-English or American-English, and I am very familiar with Chicago and AP style.

More than 26 years' U.S. publishing industry experience, editorial (print). I provide crystal-clear, clean grammar; strict attention to style, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling, and I work quickly and efficiently.

I do not format or provide technical assistance in publishing books. I use MS Word only.

If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at My rate is $0.008 per word. Send requests/inquiries to I accept currency only through PayPal, with 50% of the total at project initiation; the balance is due upon project completion.

Editorial Freelancers' Association, USA

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate concentration: Post-war Irish poetry and early 18th century English fiction, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with authors in the UK, Canada, the US, and several other countries. References and titles available on request.