Writing Books/how do I start

Question
I am interested in writing a book about my experience in raising my granddaughter as a encouragement to other grandparents raising a  third generation.  

Answer
Hello M!

Non-fiction books are simply long essays. Go to http://www.rscc.cc.tn.us/owl&writingcenter/OWL/Types.html (you'll have to cut and paste as this site does not support hyperlinks). There you will find an explanation of the different types of essays. Choose the one that seems best to fit your material. Read the samples, and see if you can isolate the premise of each. A premise is a statement of what the article/book/story intends to demonstrate to the reader, i.e., "Raising a grandchild can be fun/is a horrid experience/shouldn't be undertaken by anyone over 85." Formulate your own premise.

The premise determines the structure of the work. How will you support it? By your experiences, and perhaps some experiences of others? If your premise is that raising a grandchild is fun, you will want to include experiences that prove it's fun. Naturally, you will also want to give some ground to the other side - "it is not! It's horrid!" for the sake of balance and contrast. If you can, meet these objections and show how the problems revealed can be overcome. (You may find an online support group on this topic, try geocities.com, MSN, groups.yahoo.com and google groups). Join one or two of them, and try out your ideas.

Once you have a collection, get some 3x5 cards and write one experience on each, not the whole thing but enough to remind yourself what it is. You should see a pattern developing. Prepare an outline, following the structure in the sample.

Once the outline is prepared, you can start writing. If you run into problems, come back here, and we will see what can be done.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 320+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand