Writing Books/how to start

Question
I was wondering how one would get started writing an autobiography?  I have tried many times before and just can't get it to flow so it doesn't jump around so much.  

Answer
Dear Sandy,
Thank you for your question. You can write your memoir in chronological order, in order of what's most important, or it can skip around. There are no definite rules. One way to get it to go chronological is to make an outline of your life that goes year by year or decade by decade. In your outline, list the different places you've lived, the schools you went to, and so on.
You could also write it out of order, then put it in order. If you make a timeline of your life, you could write the events in whatever order you want, then paste them together in chronological order.
Write it just like you were writing a letter to a friend.
Writing your memoir is good for your close associates, as well as family, and future generations of your family.
If you want to reach a larger audience, then you need to turn your autobiography into a novel. Memoirs do not have a wide enough appeal for publishers. However, if you can spin a plot out of your life story, it could reach a larger audience. At my site I have posted the Fiction Writer's Workshop, which will show you how to plan a plot, scenes, characters, dialogue, etc. See:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
It's good to write your memoir first, then decide whether your life story would make a good novel.
I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster