Writing Books/How do I start the first page of a book?

Question
I have wanted to write a book for many years. I have ideas on what I would like to write, but I am not certain as to how I start the book. I know that there will be several chapters....how do I organize them?

Thank you,
Shanty

Answer
Dear Shanty,
Thank you for your question. Here are a few suggestions. First, keep a journal. When you get ideas, write them down and then spend some extra time developing the ideas you get. The problem is that if you have inspiring thoughts but don't write them down, they tend to sink back down into your subconscious where they are more difficult to access.
Second, if it's fiction, use the Ficiton Writer's Workshop posted at my site:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
If it's non-fiction, use "clustering." That's where you write down a word, circle it, and then write down the words that connect to the idea, so that you end up with something that looks like a spider web. If you've never used this technique, the best book on how to do it is "Writing the Natural Way," available through Amazon.com on the "good writing books" link at my site. The creative side of the brain doesn't work in a linear way, but works more like the clustering exercises. So clustering helps to bring the ideas down from your brain in a natural way. After you do some clustering, you can usually write an outline or synopsis of what you want to write.
If you have any further questions, feel free to write back again.
Sincerely,
Nori  

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster