Writing Books/getting started

Question
Hello,

I recently have had ideas for a book.  I have been writing notes on what i want it to include, and many details as to what the book is actually on.  Its my advice in life after having gone through depression as a college student at UW-Madison.  Basically a book that tells how to recognize, deal with, and get through tough life times in a non psychologist point of view.  The problem I have is, I do not write.  My question to you is, how do I go about starting.  I would like it to be a "tuesdays with morrie" type of book where the author tells my story for me, as if he were writing my words.  What do I need to present to someone for them to even consider me? Any starting information would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Eric

Answer
Hello, Eric!

Well, I just happen to know the answer for this one!  What you want is a ghost writer or collaborator.  And you can find a ton of them on the web.  Try searching for 'writing collaborators,' 'co-authors' and 'writing services.'

There'll be a ton of them and they'll each have a different way of working with you, charging you, sharing royalties and sharing writing and research responsibilities.

As for what you need to interest a collaborator you need to turn all those notes into a one page synopsis of the book (where it starts, what it's about, what tone you see it in, etc) and a table of contents.  The table of contents, using chapter titles, will give a one-page, one-glance look of what's in the book.  Follow the guidelines for any of the collaborators you've researched and pitch your idea to them following those guidelines.

You have picked a rough road.  Most authors don't want to work on someone else's idea.  They have more than enough of their own to work on.  And, frankly, most of the people you'll find on the web will want to charge you up front for doing the writing rather than waiting for the book to sell to share in royalties.  Just a head's up that this isn't going to be easy.  But, then, nothing worthwhile ever is.

In the meantime, are you sure you can't write it yourself?  There are several good how to books out there on how to write a memoir.  Why not invest in one and see if it's something you could do yourself?  Just a thought.

Good luck Eric.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away!

Liz Aleshire
Bugs:  Stinger, Suckers, Sweeties, Swingers.  Franklin Watts
www.lizaleshire.com

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire