Writing Books/How do we get started?

Question
I have recently been appraoched by an elderly woman who has no writing skills to tell her inspirational true story by writing it in a book form.  She is a former alcoholic that has a number of stories to share and inspirational lessons learned.  She has been told by many of her friends (including her pastor) that she should write a book that can inspire others.  Although my writing skills have been utilized primarily in technical writing, I am interested in taking on the challenge.  We plan to sit down and start talking, with my tape recorder in hand, so that I can get a feel for how this book might be developed.  Yet I am uncertain how I should get paid for my writing services, or how a contract might be written up.  Can you help me by directing me to a web-site where I can learn more or can you offer any guidance as to how other writers handle such a situation?

Answer
Dear Susan,
Thank you for your letter. It sounds like a worthwhile project. You can set any price you want, but be aware that it would be a difficult project to market and she may not make her money back.
I always encourage people to write their memoirs, however, since it's valuable for the subject's children and other descendents.
If you go to craigs list (http://craigslist.com look under gigs-writing), you will see lots of people who offer memoir writing services. You might find out from them how much they charge.
I hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Nori

P.S. My page for writers is http://steamboats.com/writing.html and may contain some helpful information too.

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster