Writing Books/Getting started

Question
Hi Nori,

Essentially, I'm just trying to gather information about writing fiction.  I have a "day job", but have always wanted to express my creativity through writing.  Eventually, I'd like to complete a novel, but would like to start by writing children's stories.  

So...I suppose the questions running through my mind are almost all of the ones listed on your profile!  Any guidance you can suggest would be extremely helpful.  I'd imagine that one of the first steps for children's books would be teaming up with an illustrator.  Another main question would be--how can I minimize my own outlay of capital to get things started?  Again, I'm sure I don't know what I don't know, so any advice you have would be great.

Thank you...

Answer
Dear Dan,
Thank you for your questions. You are getting started the right way. Keep the day job and use your spare time to write. Also, it's smart to begin with genre writing and work your way up to writing a mainstream novel. There are specific rules for genre writing that you need to know. You can break the rules, but it's best to know what they are first. At my site you can find good books on writing for children.
See: http://steamboats.com/writing.html (click the link for "good writing books")
Surprisingly, you don't need to team up with an illustrator. Most publishers want control over who will do the illustrations. They choose the artists and match them up with the author after they accept a story. You should not need to spend anything except on postage, paper, ink cartridges, and reference books.
Also at my site you will find the "Fiction Writers Workshop." It's a step-by-step program to structure a fiction story.
There's also an article called, "How to Find a Publisher" that outlines the basic process.
If you have any questions after looking over the materials, please feel free to write back.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster