Writing Books/How to get started

Question
Dear Dorothy,

I've had a dream for years about writing fiction - I'm an avid reader (not so much these days having had my son)and would like to know how best to embark on writing a novel. I've a few ideas, although by no means concrete, and have scoured the internet for advice. What would you recommend for a novice like myself?

Answer
Hello Angela,

You must first have at least an idea of a story line and a beginning character. What works for me is to simply begin to type and continue without editing, correcting or manipulating ideas until my right, creative brain kicks in and the story flows on its own. Characters show themselves when they are needed and they help to write the story. Often I do not know where the story will go, what the next action will be until it happens. For me this is an exciting way to write.
After I have completed a rough first draft, and it is rough, I go back to do the numerous rewrites.  I never allow anyone to read a single page of what I have written until I am satisfied with it...perhaps after two or three rewrites. The important thing is not to stop to correct, edit or polish. This will stop the creative flow. This is often the source of writer's block.
Try it and see what happens.
Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris