Writing Books/My story, just a few questions.

Hello, nice to meet you. I suppose I shall introduce myself, I am a fourteen-year-old freshman in high school, and I wish to be a writer when I get older. Nothing much else comes to mind for me to divulge. Anyways, I am writing a story, I hope for it to span across many books.
The story I am writing is of a fantasy sort (I find it to be the best genre type for me to write). I don't want to give out too much information, however, I must tell you of some I suppose... The story centers around a young woman Prophet in a world were the magic all left some one hundred years ago, yet she, along with a few others, somehow have the use of the ancient art. The Oracle's (the leaders I suppose you could call them) have been around forever, and can use magic, yet no one of the lands knows of this. Basically I want an Oracle to go out and gather the magical individuals and that is really all I wish to tell ^^ Anyways I have an idea of having the characters travel to places and then, upon reaching the spot, go back one hundred years to show how the place has changed and I will show through the same way how some magic people are magical indeed.

Do you believe the time traveling part is smart? I also must ask of you, I have read many a fantasy book, but I am constantly racking my brain for ideas that I can't simply come up with. Can you please help me with some traditional fantasy aspects that are found through out the non-fictional genre? Any other advice you wish to give out is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, thank you for all the help I am sure will surely come from your reply.

P.S. Do you believe me to be too young to start writing a book?

Hello Miguel:

I'll answer your last question first. No, you are not too young, no one who can write is too young. In fact this is a good time to start learning how books are made. Before you start writing publishable material, you need to serve your apprenticeship. How long this will take depends mostly on you - how willing you are to take advice, how quickly you learn, how dedicated you are.

At this point in your life, I would advise you to write some short pieces, for practice. Your local library may have some books on writing that you can check out; they can also be found at, sometimes for less than $5. Start building a library of these, read them and follow their advice. And practice. Write some scenes from your book (when emotions run high, that's where you want a scene). The best way to find out if they work is to join a few writing groups, put them up and see what your fellow aspiring writers have to say about them.

Keep doing this until all your scenes are written. Put them in a notebook. You will have most of a rough draft. Then you can put in the non-critical parts, the narration, description, setting, etc. Try to create an interesting setting, but remember the rule: "Unreal world, real characters, real world, unreal characters, but not both."

I think the time travel is a very good idea, but does it fit with the plot? You must have a plot, and that means conflict. There's no conflict in your description.

Fantasy stories usually include some kind of magic or supernatural phenomena like ghosts, werewolves, vampires, gods/goddesses, etc. There may be a journey, such as you have, or a quest, where the characters are seeking some important thing. There is sure to be an evil character (therein lies the conflict) and lots of confrontation. This makes the book exciting.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 320+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication