Writing Books/story not long enough

Question
What length does a book for teens have to be.I am sure that I am a good enough writer to get a book published but I'm more used to writing short stories.How do I make my book as long as possible.

Answer
Dear Em,

There's really no "specific" length for a book for teens, except that of course it has to be much shorter than a heavy-duty novel that many reading fanatics like me can get into, that's for sure! I remember my attention span when I was a teen, and it was limited, to say the least! SMILE

I just edited a book for inner-city adolescents/teens, and in published form, it came to 212 pages.

Now, bear in mind that the publisher will often "space it out" to lengthen it -- this book, for example, is set in wide, 13-point type; there's a "design" above every chapter heading; and every chapter starts mid-page.

Another good thing to do with this genre is to include a lot of dialogue, which of course takes up more space than endless narrative (which would be dull, anyway), and to also include "e-mails" from one character to another, which is set in a narrower format, with wider margins, and also must be in a different typeface and font to distinguish itself from the rest of the book. It's also a good idea to use e-mail communication as dialogue because teens relate to that so strongly these days, and it's a good selling point because it will pull them in much faster than a book without it. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, but it works!

I hope that helps! Good luck, and if you feel the urge to write, NEVER, EVER talk yourself out of it because you may think you're not "good enough." Certain people are born writers, just like there are born pianists, religious or spiritual leaders, engineers, you name it.

If you have the desire to do this, you can. A good editor will straighten out any problems with the writing itself; a good writer comes up with the genesis of the book, the ideas. That's a talent. Use it!

All Best,
Catherine Van Herrin

Writing Books

Catherine Van Herrin