Writing Books/What a story needs.

Question
I am an 18 year old business student from South Australia and have become weary of the life business provides and will provide for me. So i began writing a book at  the start of the year. NOT GOING WELL!!!

I have a brilliant idea, or what i perceive to be brilliant, but i am lacking something and i am not sure what.

the story is fictitious fantasy, and follows the journey of a boy who will right the wrongs of his ancestors. It is set in an imaginary world. I guess it is just a common fantasy with swords, mythical creatures and lots of horses.

Could you please tell me what is needed in a story, be it conflict, a hero, or a castle with a malfunctioning drawbridge.

Any help on the essential elements of a story would be great and hugely appreciated.

Yours,
Matthew

Answer
Hello Matthew,

I quote your question: "Could you please tell me what is needed in a story, be it conflict, a
hero, or a castle with a malfunctioning drawbridge."

I ask what is wrong with using all three? Sounds like a good combination. Just be sure that you allow your characters to come as they are needed. They will show up and will tell you who they are. Allow them to help you write the story. Let them be true to themselves. Do not try to twist them out of shape or out of character. Remember that good people have weaknesses and bad people are not all bad.

Let the story flow without regard for correct grammar, structure, etc, until you have finished one complete rough draft. Do not stop to edit along the way. Get into the creative groove and stay there. The end product will be very rough, but it will be fresh and alive. Then you go back for the rewrite process. Let me know when you get this far and I'll recommend a good book for rewriting.

Try this for a while and let me know how it works for you.
Happy writing,
Dorothy  

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris