Writing Books/the story is told, but where to next?

Hello Susan, and thank you for your assistance ahead of time.  I suppose I went about this backwards, but I have spent the last six months writing a personalized non-fiction work about sports and family, along with the interaction of both.  Finally, upon believing that I had told my tale in full, I executed the word count tool with a resulting 60,000 word result.  I am unsure if the short length would even warrant a reply as a "book," but having finished, I am wondering where to turn next.  

I believe I have an inspiring story of an unknown sports hero in the less popular sport of competitive swimming, but I am unsure of next steps, potential marketability, and where to turn in learning more.  

Most advice I have seen in the past has centered upon writing a book and less upon the following tasks to be successful (although, to be fully honest, I feel it is already successful in that I have accomplished my goal of telling the tale).

Many thanks for any advice you may offer.

Hello Doug:

If you will look around the shelves at your library, you will see many books of 60,000 words. So you don't have to worry about that.

As to potential marketability, I have no idea how saleable your book might be, nor does anyone else, except a potential publisher. They keep track of things like that. If you are going to do a book proposal, it will include the results of a study on marketability, done by you, or someone you hire. What the publisher will look at is commercial appeal - in other words, will it make money for us?

Is it your first draft that's finished? Do you plan to edit it in a second draft? Or a third? The Internet is crowded with advice on "next steps," including editing your MS, finding an agent, and other things you can do to help your book along. This is not my expertise; my expertise is in the writing itself.

I would suggest you go to and post some of your book there for comment. Those people are knowledgeable and competent. You'll get lots of help there.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 1,000 questions.

And good luck with your book!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication