Writing Books/submissions

I wanted to know that if an agent writes "Recives most new clients from reccomendations from others" does this mean that you don't send him or her a query, that you must have a referal?

Well, Demetrius, the reality is that agents who don't want submissions without a referral will state that explicitly.  

What this statement means is that you have a much, much better chance of getting this agent's attention if you have a referral.  But he/she doesn't say "No submissions without a referal" so I think you can send out that query letter.

However, I don't think this agent should be at the top of your list.  I don't know what kind of book you've written but I'll bet you can find ten other agents that don't use referals to make up thier minds about a book idea.

By all means, Demetrius, send your query to this agent but also send it to others.

Hope this helps.  I'd appreciate a good review below if I have helped.

Liz Aleshire
Random House Guide to Antique Quilts

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire

What is a book proposal and why do I need one? Do I need a book proposal for both nonfiction and fiction books? How do I write a book proposal? What are the required components of a book proposal? What is an overview? What is a synopsis? How do I find out what other books are available on my topic so I can make my book different? How do I pitch to an agent/publisher? What's a query letter? What's a 30-second commercial?

I am the author of four nonfiction books: Private Lives of Ministers' Wives (with Rev. Sherry Taylor,New Horizon Press, New Jersey, 1991)and currently working on a second edition; Bugs: Stingers, Suckers, Sweeties, Swingers (a FRanklin Watts Frist Book, Chicago, 1993); The Confident Collector Identification and Price Guid to Quilts (with Kathleen Barach, Avon Books, NY, 1992); and, Official Price Guide to Quilts 2nd edition(with Kathleen Barach, Random House, NY, 2003.) I've taught How to Write the Book Proposal for the past ten years at the week long International Women's Writing Guild annual summer conference, and, at the Manchester Community College Continuing Education program. I've taught in many local continuing education programs in central Connecticut. Five authors have sold books using my methods for writing the book proposal. I have spoken at the Big Apple Conference, an IWWG event held in NYC; both Connecticut chapters of the Romance Writer's of America other writing conferences

Internation Women's Writing Guild, past associate member American Society of Journalists and Authors

Books for New Horizon Press. NJ; Franklin Watts (Now Scolastic)Danbury, CT; Avon Books, NYC; and, Random House, NYC

B.A in Economics from the University of Connecticut

Past/Present clients
Carren Strock, author Married Women Who Love Women; Doris Larson, travel writer, Ohio; MaryLou Streznewsi author Gifted Grownups.