Writing Books/taking the manuscript to a real book

I have completed a novel and have wrestled with possibilites on how to publish.  I have found it overwhelming.  The piece is finished and edited by someone I consider an expert.  I was set on self-publishing but have been turned off by some of them.  It is still very much a possibility for me though.  I have completely designed a cover myself.  I even took the photo that appears on the cover.
What I am having a problem with is the overwhelming steps in finding a publisher.  Do I pitch my book to big publishers?  Will I be taken seriously?  Or do I self-publish?  Honestly, I do not have the money to self-publish.  I also have been researching the topics under my concern.  Can you give me advice on all of this.  Sorry my message is a bit scattered.

Thanks for the question.  Publishers are overwelmed with projects from people but there is always a chance that someone may take an interest but the odds are tough.  Self publishing is a good way to go to see if your book has legs and there is interest and the investment is low.  Plus it gives you the opportunity to polish your book and see if there is interest.  Dan Poynter's book on self publishing is the best and John Kremer on marketing is also the best.  If I can be of further help let me know.

Writing Books

Tom Campbell

When you are ready to print your book I can help you with how to prepare your book for the printer, what to expect from a printer and what you must understand yourself. How long does it take to print a book and methods of printing that make sense and what your costs should be in the process.

25 years of business experience including web development and printing. Currently Senior Vice President of Sales for King Printing Company. I'll approach all questions objectively.