Writing Books/titles

Question
Hi, I have a title for my first book. But, how do you know if someone else has not already used this title. I would like for it to be original not to mention legal. Is there a law against using the same title?  Thanks

Answer
Titles cannot be copyrighted, and at times titles are duplicated, usually unintentionally. I wouldn’t intentionally name a novel War and Peace, Gone with the Wind, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Scarlet Letter, or The Old Man and the Sea, for example, but when you consider that for centuries authors have been writing books that have been published, duplication is bound to happen, and rarely are there any legal ramifications.

Think of it this way: only if you self publish can you be guaranteed that the title won’t change. The working title of my book on creative writing was Rev Up Your Writing and Win, but my publisher wanted to change it, and we compromised with Write In Style. Since the time that my book was released, I’ve found at least one other book with the same title, but it is ancient and out of print.  

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas